In this article, you will find the top meditation tips for beginners and we will also take a look at some of its benefits. You can also find a 21-day meditation guide for beginners.
I. Meditation tips for beginners:
1. Practice Daily:
- Practice daily
- Sit comfortably
- Make a commitment you can keep. Even if it’s for only five minutes every day. Consistency is far more important than the intensity at the beginning.
Note: You must stay with it daily to actualize the holistic experience that it delivers.
2. Focus on Breathing:
- Set a timer for about five minutes every time you start your practice and then close your eyes. Start with a clear intention to focus on the rhythms of your breath, and pay attention without any judgment.
- Please don’t worry too much about the results as you are just starting with your journey.
- Then accordingly, start by focusing on the rhythms of your breaths as you inhale and exhale- deep and slow. This kind of breathing process slows down one’s heart rate, and often puts one in a deep and relaxed state, and focuses one’s attention and mind.
3. Start Small:
- Start very small- maybe practice for just two minutes in the beginning.
- You can always start with very short sessions initially, staying for as little as 3-5 minutes to begin with, and then extend the period as per your convenience.
- Then you can start with 2 or 3 minutes at a time and work your way up. You can also add a minute each day as you proceed and gain more experience, or a minute each week if you like it that way.
Note: Our 21st-century minds are easily distracted, and we have a disadvantage in keeping the mind centered on one thing.
4. Expect to think:
- Understand and know that one’s mind often has a lot of thoughts popping in and out when they first start practicing meditation. And it’s okay to feel uncomfortable as it’s just a part of the process.
- So many beginners usually have a difficult time quieting their thoughts, emotions, and minds to meditate.
Note: Take three deep breaths (inhaling and holding for a few seconds into your belly, and then exhale). Repeat this process every time you feel and find your thoughts wandering around or distracting.
5. Get Comfortable:
- Let your mind and body determine how you sit and start.
- If sitting straight hurts your back, then you can sit on a cushion or a chair if that helps you.
- Choose a bodily posture that makes you feel relaxed and comfortable.
Note: I recommend investing in a good meditation cushion to sit on. If you don’t have one, a pillow can work nicely as well.
6. Pick your Space:
- It’s all about using mindfulness spiritual virtuals to experience and feel what is sacred.
- Try to be very consistent with your meditation in that same location throughout your entire practice.
- Select a quiet and Zen place and make sure that you will not be disturbed by any noise or people during your meditation practice.
(Also Read: Beginner’s Guide to Chakra Meditation)
II. Meditation Tips and Benefits:
1. Enhanced self-awareness
Help’s you build a strong and intimate relationship with yourself.
2. Boosts Happiness
Happiness is a state of mind.
3. Sharpens your focus
Help’s you learn and understand how to discipline your mind.
4. Helps with Stress Reduction
Meditation is a natural practice/method to relieve stress.
5. Control Addictions
Meditation helps increase discipline and develop one’s mental strength and a strong will.
III. 21-Day Meditation Challenge and Meditation Tips
Five-minute meditation- start by focusing on your breath
Five-minute meditation- think of someone you love or admire
Five-minute meditation- List three things you are grateful for
Ten-minute meditation- Say five positive things about yourself
Ten-minute meditation- List three things you are grateful for in life right now
Ten-minute meditation- List three amazing things that happened today
Ten-minute meditation- Visualize a place full of people you love
Ten-minute Meditation- List three things you are grateful for
Ten-minute meditation- Take a few deep breaths outside
Ten-minute meditation- Say three complements to yourself
Ten-minute meditation- List three amazing things that happened this week
Ten-minute meditation- List five individuals you love
Fifteen-minute guided meditation- And be grateful for everyone and everything you have in life, and then accordingly, repeat the process.
IV. Not challenging enough?
- Extend your daily practice by two to three minutes
- Try to concentrate on meditation by focusing on one object for about five to ten minutes (Candlelight and tree, etc.)
- Try body scan meditation before you sleep.