One of the most popular yoga props to use in a yoga class or at home while doing is yoga is the yoga block. Yoga Blocks are usually made from foam, bamboo, wood, or cork.
The yoga blocks are often used as an extension of one’s arms support, but the yoga blocks can also support one’s neck, back, head and hips while doing the difficult yoga asanas, and they can also help the body to settle into a perfect posture and to avoid any uncertainties.
We all know that yoga if practiced regularly can create a more balanced and mindful lifestyle. Yoga also helps improve one’s flexibility, posture, and overall balance.
The practice of yoga asanas or poses offers so much more than just a quick workout or a stretch, practicing yoga regularly can improve self-reflection, the practice of kindness to ourselves and others, and it also promotes growth and self-awareness.
Of course, all of the above-mentioned points and practicing asanas are easier to master if one can find a sense of comfort and ease in the process itself while doing even the difficult poses or asanas. That’s’ where the yoga blocks come into the picture, yoga blocks provide you with the sense of comfort and balance you need while doing yoga poses.
(Also Read: The Seven Pillars of Mindfulness)
I. What is the Purpose of Yoga Blocks?
We have many yoga props available in the market, and sometimes we all get a little bit confused as to how to use them and what’s the purpose of these props. Yoga props provide many benefits if we know what it does and how we can use them effectively to make the process a little bit easier for ourselves.
But it can also be a little frustrating to not know the purpose and the nature of a particular yoga prop, especially if you are just a beginner. But don’t worry, that’s what we are here for to help you get started. In this article, we will discuss yoga blocks: what they are, how we can use them, and what are their benefits if used accordingly.
One of the most popular yoga props out there is Yoga Blocks. As per some research, yoga blocks are the most used yoga props in yoga sessions/classes.
Most types of yoga blocks are usually made from foam, bamboo, wood, or either from cork, and they all are used as an extension of one’s arms support, but yoga blocks can also support one’s back, head, and hips while doing difficult yoga poses/asanas. Yoga blocks usually work as a great source to help us settle into a yoga posture/pose.
Furthermore, Yoga blocks:
- Support range of motion, thereby shortening the distance between you and the floor while doing the yoga asanas.
- Yoga blocks also assist us in establishing correct alignment.
- Yoga Blocks help make yoga accessible to beginners and those with injuries.
- They also support muscles in difficult poses
- They also help one to properly engage in their asanas while being present and without any discomfort.
II. How to Use Yoga Blocks?
- Start by kneeling with both of your knees and make sure they are feet hip-distance apart.
- Then accordingly, place the yoga block between your shins on the medium-height level.
- Then slowly shift your body a little bit backward and then accordingly, sit on top of the yoga block.
- As a next step, lengthen the spine, gently engage the core, and keep length in the back of the neck.
- Then gently, place both of your palms on top of your thighs.
Note: I have used the hero’s yoga pose (also known as seated meditation) as an example for this.
(Related: What Is the Purpose of Yoga?)
Set of Two Yoga Blocks: Buy here